Sambal ikan bilis I sambal anchovies

Thursday, February 16, 2017




Nasi lemak (Coconut Rice) is one of the famous dishes in Singapore. I can't think of anyone who dislikes it.  Obviously, it's one of my favourite too. :)
I usually tend not to buy nasi lemak from eateries.  As i prefer making my own version.
Not only that, i prefer my ikan bilis (anchovies) sambal to be not too sweet and spicy.
To enhance the taste,  I add groundnuts in my sambal for the crunch factor.  Oh
There are so many versions of Ikan Bilis Sambal .
Here is my version :-)
prep Time :30 mins
Serve : 6
Ingredients: 
1 cup  ikan bilis/ anchovies
1/2 groundnuts
1 tsp jaggery or brown sugar 
1/4 cup tamarind(dissolved in 1 cup of hot water)
salt to taste
Grinding Ingredients:
10 dried red chilli (soak in hot water for 15 mins , drained)
5 shallots or 2 medium red onions
3 cloves of garlic
2 small pieces turmeric /5 cm
4 cm shrimp paste /belacan
3 pieces of candle nuts
Method :
1.Roast the belacan and candle nuts.
Blend the ingredients  into smooth paste.
2. Heat oil in a wok. Fry the  ground nuts  and anchovies separately and leave it aside.
3. Heat 2 tbsp oil in pan and sauté the chilli paste  in low fire till fragrant for about 10 mins until the sambal changes colour and the oil separates at the sides. Keep stirring to avoid splatter. 
 4.Add salt and sugar to taste.
Stir in 1cup of the tamarind juice.
Simmer over low heat until the gravy thickens.
5. Stir in groundnuts and fried anchovies.
Mix well and turn off the flame.



Powered by Blogger.